Small sample size and confidence intervals

M

Monty39

Hi - hoping someone can help! I have small sample sizes for my MSc study therefore assume the confidence intervals will not be precise, therefore I was not planning to report these. Is this acceptable? I plan to acknowledge that confidence levels should be reported however have chosen not to report on them due to the small sample size and therefore unreliable confidence levels.

Thanks

Hi - hoping someone can help! I have small sample sizes for my MSc study therefore assume the confidence intervals will not be precise, therefore I was not planning to report these. Is this acceptable? I plan to acknowledge that confidence levels should be reported however have chosen not to report on them due to the small sample size and therefore unreliable confidence levels.

Thanks

You should always report them.

If you don't you are hiding something and the reader (marker in your case) will question what it is. If they are large and then effectively nullify your conclusion (make it not significant) you can talk about this and say that due to the small sample size... or because of the way the data was collected... etc. The best thing to do is be open, honest and acknowledge and explain any errors / abnormalities etc. in all your work; if you try to hide it they will see and question the validity of all of your conclusions and therefore your work and ability to conduct good science / research.